Monday, July 7, 2008

Deep (Fashion) Thoughts

I wake up thinking about clothes. I go to sleep thinking about clothes. If you see me staring off into the middle distance? I’m likely putting together a look in my head or pondering something I saw another girl on the street wearing, wondering if it might work for me. And not just because it’s my job: for as long as I can remember I’ve been acutely fashion aware. According to my mother, I excused myself from the cake-cutting portion of my third birthday party so I could try on the pair of pink pants my grandmother had brought me as a gift. Though barely verbal, clothes had already captured my imagination.

I seem to come by this obsession genetically: my aforementioned grandmother made her own paper dolls as a child and wanted to be a fashion designer. (Times being what they were, she married young and never worked outside the home, channeling her design dreams into intricate, involved sewing projects.) Her spare bedroom is a shrine to her beloved wardrobe, to her favorite pieces from the past four decades: un-PC fur coats and print polyester maxi dresses, swingy Jackie O-era jackets, and the Joan Crawford-esque suit she wore on her honeymoon, all hung in closets or folded carefully in cedar chests and dresser drawers.

Like all fashion-obsessed folk, she appreciates that clothes are more than just fabric and seams: they’re opportunity for creative expression, tangible pieces of a personal history. 10, 20, 30 years from now, what will your outfit today make you remember about your life, about who you are at this moment?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...